In the studio, I’m focusing on working with one dye only. In this case, it was Lac resin. I am changing the colours using tannins and mordants. A pot of Lac dye was made using whole resin form; afterwards I ground it down in the blender and I think I prefer the ground up version. Less mess to clean in the pot afterwards.
These bugs are found in India, Nepal and Thailand. In addition to dye, Lac also is used to produce shellac, so when it’s heated, it becomes a sticky clump. The branches are collected and put through a machine which separates the resin from the branch.
Well, after 3 attempts at 3 Lac dye pots, I have decided to put the Lac aside for now. I was looking forward to darker shades of burgundies and plums, but instead was getting pale pinks and eventually browns, once iron was added. Quite some time, energy and material spent on experiments that yielded mostly unsatisfactory results. While the cotton pieces look good, the colours were not what I had wished for, when using Lac resin. Therefore, I tried my hand at another dye, Sappanwood.
My preference is to dye on cotton, as it’s far more challenging than silk and I think it’s a more versatile fabric. Cotton can be used for clothing and home decor. I will also be dyeing linen, for the same reasons. Additionally, these fabrics have always been very functional in my daily life.
For info on my ongoing events such as shows, snippets of my travel impressions, discounts and/or things that inspire me, sign up for my newsletter (link is on the upper right side, just above Archives). Tell a friend Dismiss